With the recent backdrop of Earth Day, you might wonder, is saving the planet just another fancy idea or is there some real-life urgency to it? Well, given the scale of the challenges our planet is facing it may all seem way beyond our scope, especially as children.
However, given the right thought and deliberate effort, each one of us can make our fair share of contribution in saving our planet. So, in today’s article, we plan to give you some ideas that you can implement even as children and that can go a long way in making Earth Day really meaningful to all of us.
Read on to find out simple tips on how to save the planet:
1. Save the habitats
Just like humans, other living organisms need food, water and shelter to thrive and grow. The places that provide all these necessary things are known as habitats. Some commonly known habitats are e.g., forests, grasslands, oceanic habitats, etc. Since they play such an integral role in the well-being of living organisms it is important that we do all that we can to protect them. Some quick and easy suggestions are:
- Not littering in natural places that you visit.
- Reducing the use of plastics that pollute the forests and oceans.
- Reducing the use of fossil fuels that pollute the air.
2. Reduce, reuse, recycle!
No one can deny the enormous amount of needs we have today. We have products for each of our needs and most of them we don’t use for as long as our older generations did. Be it our electronic devices or our stationery items, we are not using them for more than a year or two. Please remember every product that we buy goes through a rigorous manufacturing cycle and thus has a huge environmental footprint since a lot of energy, water and raw material goes into making it.
Also, when we are done with the usage most of them tend to end up in a dumping ground thus increasing the amount of waste we are depositing on our planet. It may take 100s of years for it to decompose. Being cognizant of this entire impact should motivate us to reduce, reuse and recycle as much as we can. Some quick and easy suggestions you can implement are:
- Do not fall for consumerism. Buy new products only when you need to.
- Stop using polythene bags and use cloth or reusable bags instead.
- Convert those old bottles and cans into some DIY projects like decorations for your room.
3. Eat greener
The food we eat contributes immensely to global greenhouse emissions. It is also partially responsible for the biodiversity loss we are experiencing. This is true more in the case of meat and dairy production. Rearing animals and the related industry take up huge tracts of land and consume huge amounts of water. Thus, some simple actions you take to eat more sustainably are:
- Find plant-based alternatives to protein-rich products like meat and fish products.
- Waste less amount of food.
- Use kitchen gardens wherever possible.
4. Stand up for our planet
We are one of the first generations to be fully aware of the adverse impact we are having on our planet. We are also the ones who need to put a stop to the destruction we are causing before it’s too late. Speaking up for this cause is one of the small yet very powerful steps you can take even as children. Some simple actions you can take are:
- Use social media to support and share the causes that mean a lot to you
- Volunteer for the various support groups working towards saving the planet
- Support brands that are striving to manufacture more sustainably, e.g the local khadi brands.
5. Travel responsibly
Responsible travel means travelling while being mindful of the impact we are having on the planet and the living organisms around us. Some quick and easy to implement suggestions are:
- Take your own water bottle instead of buying disposable bottles.
- Walk, bicycle or use public transportation whenever possible.
- Do not encourage usage of animals for entertainment: e.g., horse chariots, or elephant rides.
It takes lots of people working together to make change happen, but it all starts with ourselves. So why wait? Make that first contribution to saving our planet today! Also, feel free to share your thoughts in the comment section below.